Chemical Contamination Services
Chemical Contamination Screening via GC-MS Headspace
There are Marine Fuels that give varying operational problems whilst apparently meeting the ISO8217 standard!
- These fuels can block filters, damage the engine, and exhibit poor burn qualities. They may also detrimentally effect the stability of the fuel and form sludge
- Chemical contamination is the main cause of such fuel problems
- VPS has extensive knowledge in detecting chemical contamination post-burn, using forensic analytical techniques
- However, with increasing fuel types and grades being available in the market, creating a greater potential for contamination of bunker stems, but with a mindful eye on clients’ financial constraints and limited budgets, VPS introduced a qualitative, proactive, rapid, pre-burn, low-cost screening service to identify up to 20 common chemical contaminants in heavy fuel oil.
- Given that speed is of crucial importance to the delivery of this method, VPS can provide this service in each of our four laboratories and report the screening results with the ISO8217 FQT report within 24 hours of receipt of sample.
- GC-MS headspace screening is a high-end forensic, yet rapid technique, to identify the presence of known common chemical contaminants, before the fuel is actually burnt and this adds an additional level of damage prevention and asset protection to the vessel.
- Section 5 of ISO8217 does provide a level of guidance and protection in relation to chemical contamination of fuels.
Chemical contamination can arise from various sources:
- Fuel Blending
- Cutter Stocks to achieve Sulphur specifications
- Automotive fuels
- Heating Fuels
- Fuel Supply Chain
- Waste Chemical Disposal
Chemical Contamination via GCMS Headspace (Extended)
GC-MS Direct Injection
In order to provide highly accurate quantitative analysis at potentially low detection limits, GCMS Direct-injection is the ultimate forensic tool in specific chemical identification. Used specifically in post-burn fuel quality investigation, this technique requires a high degree of analytical chemistry expertise and experience, but can provide detailed evidence in fuel quality disputes.
- Basic GC-MS analysis on Vacuum Distillate LP3402
- Comprehensive GC-MS analysis package LP3402 and LP 3403